Relocation Guide

Relocation Guide

Information and services that may be helpful in getting you started in your new community.


Alliance United Methodist Church
687 Main St.
Phone: (252) 745-1024

Arapahoe United Methodist Church
Minnesott Beach
Phone: (252) 249-1024

Bayboro United Methodist Church
106 Vandemere Rd.
Phone: (252) 745-7466

Oriental First Baptist Church
605 Broad St., Oriental
Phone: (252) 249-1005

Oriental Free Will Baptist Church
Ragan Rd., Oriental
Phone: (252) 249-2588

Oriental United Methodist Church
404 Freemason St., Oriental
Phone: (252) 249-0213

Pamlico Presbyterian Church
1085 Kershaw Rd., Oriental
Phone: (252) 249-2402

St. Peter the Fisherman Catholic Parish
Church is located on White Farm Rd., Oriental
Phone: (252) 249-3687

St. Thomas Episcopal Church
402 Freemason St., Oriental
Phone: (252) 249-0256
Online at

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Jehovah’s Witnesses Kingdom Hall, St. Andrew Lutheran, Temple B’nai Sholem, Unitarian-Universalist and more churches may be found in New Bern. Please refer to the Yellow Pages.


All new residents who plan to drive must obtain a N.C. driver’s license within 30 days of establishing a permanent residence here. Most newcomers, unless they drive commercial vehicles, will want a Class C license, which permits operation of personal cars and small trucks. If you drive a motorcycle, you’ll also need a motorcycle endorsement.

North Carolina has switched from four-year to five-year driver’s licenses. Until the change is complete, licenses will vary in length from four years to eight years. To get a license, apply in person at a driver’s license office and take the vision, sign recognition and written tests. (It will help to study the Driver’s Handbook available at DMV offices.) When you apply, present your current out-of-state license or two other accepted forms of ID, as well as proof of liability insurance from an insurer licensed in North Carolina. You’ll also need to supply your Social Security number. (NOTE: If you are paying for your license by check, the address on your pre-printed check must match the address on your new driver’s license.)

Pamlico County: For dates and locations call the Greenville DMV at 252-830-3456.
New Bern: Any weekday at the Driver’s License Office, 2106 Neuse Blvd., New Bern, 252-514-4734


You must register your vehicle before the reciprocity agreement between North Carolina and your former state expires (usually 30 days). Registration is renewed annually.

To register your vehicle, apply in person at the license plate agency and present your title (unless title is held by a lien holder) and a valid registration card from your former state. If your title is held by a lien holder, you must provide the lien holder’s name and address on a state form for title release. You also must present proof of vehicle liability insurance at or above minimum standards.

Fees due when you receive N.C. registration include title and registration fees and highway use tax. The DMV registration office will accept a check. You must also get a vehicle safety inspection within 10 days of receiving your N.C. license plate. This can be done at any state-authorized inspection station. Inspection is required annually.

The state does not levy sales tax on motor vehicles. However, NC counties assess property taxes annually. Your car will be registered when you receive your license plate and you’ll receive a bill in about three months.

Register any weekday at the License Plate Agency, 117 Virginia Avenue, Alliance, 252-745-4539


Building Permits
Pamlico County Building Inspector
Pamlico County Courthouse
202 Main Street, Bayboro
Phone: (252) 745-3861.

Dock & Bulkhead Permits
Pamlico County Building Inspector
Pamlico County Courthouse
202 Main Street, Bayboro
Phone: (252) 745-3861

E911 Addressing
Emergency Management/E911, 252-745-4131

Septic Permits
Pamlico County Health Department
Pamlico County Courthouse
202 Main Street, Bayboro
Phone: (252) 745-5111


Pamlico News (Published Weekly)
406 Broad Street, Oriental
Phone: (252) 249-1555
Online at

Sun Journal (Published Daily)
3200 Wellons Blvd., New Bern
Phone: (252) 638-8101 Ext. #231
Online at

Raleigh News & Observer (Published Daily)
Phone: (800) 522-4205


NC Hwy. 55, Alliance
Phone: (252) 745-4524

Kershaw Rd., Arapahoe
Phone: (252) 249-1711

NC Hwy. 55, Bayboro
Phone: (252) 745-4641

NC Hwy. 55, Grantsboro
Phone: (252) 745-4711

51 Hobucken School Rd., Hobucken
Phone: (252) 745-5654

Phone: (252) 745-4470

NC Hwy. 55, Merritt
Phone: (252) 745-4409

Broad St., Oriental
Phone: (252) 249-0454

NC Hwy. 55, Stonewall
Phone: (252) 745-3842

Phone: (252) 745-5889


Municipal services within most incorporated towns. Refer to your phone book for a refuse removal companies if you do not have municipal services.


Cable & Satellite TV
Time Warner of Pamlico
84 Gatlin Road, Bayboro
Phone: (252) 745-5842
Online at

Refer to your phone book for satellite service providers.

Progress Energy
Customer Services
Phone: (800) 452-2777
Online at

Tideland Membership Corp.
10948 NC Hwy. 55, Alliance
Phone: (252) 745-4127
Online at

The NetShoppe
Phone: (252) 745-7175
Refer to your phone book for other internet providers.

Propane Gas
Eastern Propane
Phone: (252) 745-7346

Jenkins Gas & Oil
Phone: (252) 745-5842

Refuse Removal
Waste Management
Phone: (252) 699-6330

Phone: (252) 638-1366

Telephone, Cell & Internet Service
Sprint, Residential Customers
Phone: (252) 633-9011
Refer to your phone book for cell service providers.

Pamlico County Water Dept.
102 N. 4th Street, Bayboro
Phone: (252) 745-5453
(NOTE: A copy of your deed will be required in order to get service.)


To vote, you must be 18 years or older, a legal resident of the county where you register and a U.S. citizen. You also must register at least 25-30 days before an election (the exact deadline varies for each election).

Register any weekday at the Board of Elections Office, Pamlico County Courthouse, 202 Main Street, Bayboro, 252-745-4821.